Chef Emmanuel Stroobant returns to AFC, this time, showing you how he lives, eats, and enjoys his life to the fullest!
In this new AFC Original Production called 36 Ways to Live!, Chef Emmanuel Stroobant shows how to whip up 36 of the most important life recipes that have marked his life.
Examples of these recipes are such as the popular dishes from his successful restaurants to his favourite meals that he makes at home.
All 12 episodes of “36 Ways to Live!” are produced in collaboration with a leading brand in Malaysia, SignatureKitchen, where 12 x 30mins segments are filmed in the fully equipped SignatureKitchen showroom in Kota Damansara, Selangor.
For the media preview I finally had the opportunity to step into the elegant, state -of-art Signature Kitchen showroom which are known to host many cooking/baking sessions and classes. Chef Emmanuel was behind the stove, larger than life in shocking pink. I must say that man has got personality, which radiates easily off and on-screen. 🙂
For the preview, he whipped up a classic French favourite – Pan-Fried Foie Gras with Caramelised Apple.
He started with easily the biggest foie gras I have seen in my life. Some useful nuggets of information he imparted during the session was ways to “devein” a foie gras, be sure to cut a fresh foie gras using a hot knife (meaning the blade of course) so that it gives a clean edge and that it only takes 2 hours to defrost a frozen foie gras so never leave it to defrost overnight in the fridge.
Here’s the recipe for the delectable foie gras with apple.
Pan-Fried Foie Gras with Caramelised Apple.
1 foie gras
100g tempura flour
1 stick of celery, peeled
1 stick of carrot, peeled
1 shallot, peeled
1 sprig of thyme
200ml of veal jus
20ml of balsamic vinegar
2 green apples
20g of sugar
50g of butter
20ml of olive oil
1. For the sauce, cut carrot, celery and shallot into 2cm cubes.
2. Heat a knob of butter in a medium sized pot. You will know that the pot is hot enough when the butter stops sizzling.
3. Once the butter stops sizzling, add vegetables and thyme. Cook them till they turn soft.
4. Add a sprinkle of sugar and cook for a further 2 minutes.
5. Deglaze with balsamic vinegar and let the liquid reduce slowly.
6. Add veal jus and simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Strain the sauce and reduce until sauce thickens.
Method (Foie Gras and Apples):
1. Peel the apple and cut into 3cm x 3cm cubes.
2. In a non-stick fry pan, heat the sugar till it starts to turn into a light amber colour.
3. Then, add 1 tablespoon of butter and apples.
4. Cook the apples for 1 minute on each side. Set aside.
5. For the foie gras, cut the lobe at an angle, and into a 2cm thickness slices.
6. Lightly dust with tempura flour.
7. Using a frying pan, heat half portion of the oil and butter.
8. Once the butter stops sizzling, place the foie gras in the pan and turn the heat to medium.
9. Once you see a nice brown edge on the foie gras, flip it over to cook the other side.
10. Remove and place onto absorbent paper.
11. To plate, place a piece of caramelised apple on the plate and transfer the foie gras on top.
12. Bring the sauce to a boil, strain them in a blender.
13. Add a tablespoon of butter and blend the sauce.
14. Drizzle the sauce around the foie gras.
Hhhmmm.. this is so good! :DD
Even Jojo Struys tries to steal a bite 😛
36 Ways to Live is not just to watch Chef Emmanuel whipping up delicious meals, but also to get an intimate peek into Chef Stroobant’s life as he takes you behind the scenes, into the kitchens of his successful restaurants, on a picnic trip and even, a yoga session with his staff. So here’s your chance to get to know Chef Emmanuel Stroobant better! 😀
36 Ways To Live – an AFC ORIGINAL PRODUCTION premiering on Wednesday 12 September at 9:30pm!