I happened to catch the 3rd episode of The Big Break recently at a friend’s place and guess what, a Malaysian contestant won the challenge with a recipe of one of my favourite food – a burger! 🙂
17 year old Biula won the Burger Challenge in the 3rd episode of The Big Break, competing against 10 others. Her recipe, a tantalising beef patty, served with yummy sauces, buttered sesame buns, garnished with the colors of green and purple won her a SGD 200 shopping voucher.
If you’re unfamiliar, The Big Break is an AFC programme in partnership with Resort World Sentosa that offers an opportunity to underprivileged children across Asia to fulfil their dreams. I was at the launch earlier this month after I was just back from Japan and prior to my flight to Kathmandu. For the month of November, I had seen heart-wrenching adversity; once on screen during The Big Break launch and on another occasion, everyday in Nepal during my Air Asia X CSR OLPC programme trip.
For The Big Break, RWS Executive Chef, Alan Orreal and AFC celebrity chef, Farah Quinn traveled to voluntary welfare organisations in Malaysia, Mongolia, the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore and South Korea in search of youths who exemplify a passion for cooking and possess the determination to pursue their dreams of becoming a chef.
I held back tears when I watched the 1st episode that showed each hopeful participants from each country relate their life stories. With determination for a better life for themselves and their family, they did their best to prove their worth for the opportunity to be on The Big Break programme.
The brigade of 12 selected youths will then travel to Singapore, where they will pit their skills in a series of challenges at Singapore’s first integrated resort, Resorts World Sentosa.
Line-up of international and distinguished guest chefs will take on the role of judges and mentors for the entire duration.
Featured chefs include the world’s most Michelin star-decorated Chef Joël Robuchon, Australian Celebrity Chef Scott Webster, RWS’s Executive Chefs Alan Orreal, Edmund Toh and Ron Cheng, as well as Unilever Food Solutions’ Regional Executive Chef Yen Koh.
These world-class chefs ensure that each contestant receives first-class culinary and food and beverage training throughout the programme, exposing them to a myriad of different cuisines and flavours from around the world. The Big Break will also give them an immersive cross-cultural experience, while teaching them invaluable application techniques.
For more information on The Big Break, please visit: http://www.asianfoodchannel.com/thebigbreak. The site will provide the latest information about contestants as well as summaries and highlights from each episode.
AFC viewers from 11 territories across Asia will be able to catch the 13 x 30-minute series every WEDNESDAY 10 pm.
Last but not least, here’s Biula’s winning burger recipe:
Burger Challenge – Big Momma Recipe
2 tsp of mayonnaise
1 tsp of chilli sauce
2 tsp of Guacamole
1 tsp of chilli sauce
1 tomato, sliced
Salad, for garnish
Gerkins, for ganish
2 tsp of black pepper sauce
2 tsp of barbeque sauce
Fresh thyme leaves
Sesame seed bun
1 slice of cheddar cheese
1) Add black pepper sauce and barbeque sauce into the minced beef
2) Using a spoon, gently mix the sauce into minced beef to incorporate them
3) Add fresh thyme leaves into the beef and mix gently again
4) With your hands, shape the patty to about 1cm thickness
5) Chill the patty in the fridge for about 10 minutes
6) Grill the patty on the griller
7) After 1 minute, rotate the patty so that grill marks can be formed
8) After another minute, flip the patty and repeat step 7
9) When the patty is almost cooked, place a slice of cheddar cheese on the patty
10) Total patty time: 4 minutes
1) Slice the bun into half
2) Grill the bun on the griller for roughly 30 seconds
3) Spread a little butter onto the bun
1) Place one half of the sesame seed bun at the bottom
2) Add enough mayonnaise to cover the bun
3) Place a few slices of purple cabbage on top
4) Add 1 tsp of chilli sauce
5) Place the beef patty
6) Add guacamole on the patty
7) To top, add the purple cabbage and finish with a few slices of tomato
8) Add the other half of the sesame seed bun on top
9) To garnish, add a few sliced gherkins and cubed tomatoes at the side
A reality show with a difference, do catch The Big Break is aired on The Asian Food Channel, Astro Channel 703, every Wednesday, 10.00pm! 🙂